Strong chins have long been associated with positions of power and attractiveness in the Western world. This standard of beauty is challenging for patients who fall short of the ideal. During a chin implant (mentoplasty), William Bruno Plastic Surgery uses synthetic material to give your chin more projection to balance with other facial features. Dr. Bruno welcomes patients from Beverly Hills, Hollywood, and West Hollywood to see if chin implants are right for them.
*Individual results may vary
Who Is A Good Candidate?
Both men and women with receding chins can benefit from getting chin implants from William Bruno Plastic Surgery. Women round out their chins to balance with other facial features, while men can capture the square-jawed look masculine look. Chin implants are available for healthy Beverly Hills, Hollywood, and West Hollywood patients who want to modify their facial profile. A plastic surgeon may recommend chin implants to:
- Balance with your nose rather than suggest a rhinoplasty.
- Increase the height of your chin from lower lip to bottom of your chin.
- Give you a stronger, more defined jawline.
Dr. Bruno will discuss the results that you are looking for during your consultation to determine the size and structure of your new chin.
What Will Happen During The Procedure?
After your consultation, Dr. Bruno will decide on the most appropriate incision and type of chin implant to give you the results that you want with minimal scarring. Chin implants come in a variety of sizes and shapes to provide the right contour to patients seeking to enhance their profile. There are two schools of thought and choices for incision. They are:
- Inside the mouth: More challenging to insert the chin implant and may not be possible if you require larger prosthetic. There is a slightly higher risk for infection but also no chance of visible scarring.
- Under the chin in the natural crease: Easier to position the implant and less risk for infection. Very minimal scarring may be visible.
Both types of incisions carry their own set of benefits and risk which Dr. Bruno will cover during your consultation.
During Chin Implant Surgery
Most patients opt for general anesthesia during their chin implant surgery, mainly to avoid any memory of the operation. Once you are completely anesthetized, Dr. Bruno will:
- Make an incision inside of your mouth or in the crease under your chin.
- Stretch the tissue to accommodate your implant.
- Adjust and suture the prosthetic so that it balances with your facial features.
- Close the incision and send you to the recovery room.
Chin implant surgery will only take about an hour to complete and you will be able to return home on the same day.
Your procedure will require that you keep the bandages on for 2-3 days after your procedure. Dr. Bruno will advise you if you can remove them yourself or do it for you during a follow-up exam. After your surgery you may experience symptoms such as:
These are all normal and all symptoms should be minimal after the first few days. Dr. Bruno will prescribe pain medication to help manage any discomfort that you feel.
As you begin to heal, you will notice that your new chin implant feels like a natural part of your body. However, you will need to limit chewing in the first few days to prevent shifting that can lead to permanent repositioning. Dr. Bruno recommends a diet of soft foods or liquids 3-4 days after surgery.
William Bruno Plastic Surgery offers chin implants near Beverly Hills, Hollywood, and West Hollywood. If you have a weak or receding chin, schedule a consultation with Dr. Bruno by booking online or calling his office at (310) 879-0937.