Can any doctor do liposuction, or would I need to see a specialist of some kind? Thank you.

A: who should perform liposuction

Liposuction should be performed by a board certified plastic surgeon.  Preferably a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) or the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS).  These surgeons typically have the most training and experience necessary to perform the procedure with best results and fewest complications.

Although non-plastic surgeons can legally perform liposuction, that may not be their specialty and they may have only taken minimal training (weekend course) to learn it.

Be careful when choosing a physician to perform your liposuction procedure.

Best wishes,

Dr. Bruno