Defined cheekbones create the facial symmetry found in gorgeous models, actors and actresses. Beverly Hills patients who want to modify their cheekbones for more definition can undergo cheek implant surgery to create more prominent or higher cheekbones. Although there are other alternatives such as fillers and fat grafting to give volume to your cheeks, these are impermanent changes that will not last more than a few years. Cheek implant surgery is the only permanent solution for Beverly Hills patients who want to reshape their cheeks to balance with other facial features.
Different Types of Cheek Implants
Beverly Hills plastic surgeon Dr. William Bruno reshapes cheekbones by focusing on three different areas to enhance your overall appearance. Undefined cheekbones can gain contour by strategically placing cheek implants:
- The most common cheek enhancement is with implants directly on the cheekbones, providing patients with higher cheekbones that are more prominent.
- A submalar cheek implant sits below the most prominent part of your cheekbone to undo the sunken appearance that often goes hand in hand with aging.
- For patients who want more volume and high, prominent cheekbones, a combined procedure combining both malar and submalar implants can restore lost volume and definition to your cheeks.
Dr. Bruno can make slight or significant changes to the shape of your cheeks using a variety of implant sizes and materials to make you feel comfortable and confident with your results.
What Will Happen During Cheek Implant Surgery?
On the day of your surgery, you will be prepared with anesthesia so that you don’t remember anything until you are in the recovery room. After anesthesia has been administered, Dr. Bruno will:
- Make an incision inside of the mouth or lower eyelids if the procedure is performed on its own. For Beverly Hills patients who deicide to have a brow lift, eyelid lift, facelift, or rhinoplasty combined with their cheek implants, Dr. Bruno will use the same incision to minimize scarring.
- Form a small pocket for each cheek implant.
- Insert and position each cheek implant in its pocket.
- Close the incision with dissolvable sutures if inside the mouth or sutures that will need to be removed if elsewhere.
Most patients can return home the same day as their surgery. Stitches will remain in place for approximately 10 days, until they dissolve or are removed by Dr. Bruno during a follow-up exam.
Recovering From Cheek Implant Surgery
Cheek implant surgery has a very low rate of complications and has been successfully performed on patients for over sixty years. There are limited symptoms after surgery which include:
Your cheeks may also feel somewhat tight and sore, but this can be managed by taking over-the-counter pain medication and will disappear completely after 5-7 days.
Complications with Cheek Implant Surgery
While limited, there are certain complications associated with cheek implant surgery. They are:
- Shifting of the implants
- Delayed healing
Risk of infection is easily managed by taking antibiotics and a qualified plastic surgeon with Board Certification and experience with cheek implants will ensure lasting results that keep you happy long after surgery has ended.
Call our Beverly Hills office at (310) 461-3855 to schedule a cheek implant consultation with Dr. Bruno.